|YIELDS: 6 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 25 mins||TOTAL TIME: 35 mins|
Chile Rellenos with a twist! Fire roasted poblano peppers stuffed with a simple yet flavorful risotto and served with an amazing, homemade salsa roja on the side.
6-8 poblano chile peppers
3 ½ cups shredded cheese (anything melty like a Mexican blend, Oaxaca, Monterey Jack, mozzarella, etc.)
2 lbs ripe tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1” thick slice of white onion
1 chile de árbol (optional)
Salt, to taste
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Place the chiles under a preheated broiler, or over direct heat on the grill or stovetop. Cook for 6-9 minutes, turning every 2-3 minutes, until charred and blistered on the outside.
- Transfer the chiles to a plastic bag, seal, and let sweat for 10-20 minutes. Remove the charred skin under a thin stream of cold water. Make a slit down one side of the chile and remove the seeds and veins. Pat dry once cleaned.
- Stuff each of the chiles with about ½ cup shredded cheese. Secure the chile shut with a toothpick.
- For the rice, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the rice and cook, stirring softly, for 2-3 minutes. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the 4 cups of broth and season with salt.
- When the rice comes to a rolling boil, place the chile rellenos into the pot. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15-20 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let sit, covered, for about 5-10 minutes.
- To make the salsa roja, place the tomatoes and garlic in a medium saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the tomatoes are cooked and mushy.
- Place the tomatoes and garlic in a blender along with the onion, chile de árbol (if using), salt, and pepper. Purée until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, pour in the tomato mixture, partially cover with lid, and simmer for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the chicken/vegetable broth and simmer for another 6-8 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- To serve, place a generous amount of the salsa roja onto a plate and top with a chile relleno. Remove the toothpick from the chile and stuff with the rice mixture. Enjoy!