|YIELDS: 4 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 20 mins||TOTAL TIME: 30 mins|
When we were in Japan for our son's birthday, we enjoyed a lot of different types of Japanese rice bowls or "donburi" featuring fish, chicken or meat over steamed rice. This chicken teriyaki version is super easy to make in 30 minutes and has incredible flavor! You and your family will love it. Try throwing in some of your favorite veggies or using beef instead!
3 cups short grain, Japanese rice
4 cups filtered water (if not using filtered, boil and cool it first)
3 tbsp soy sauce (I used tamari to keep it gluten free)
1 tbsp sake
4 tbsp mirin
2 tsp brown sugar
1 small piece of fresh ginger
4 pieces (about 1 lb) boneless, skin-on chicken thighs
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp cooking oil
2 green onions, sliced
- To cook the rice on the stovetop: Place the rice in a pot and rinse until the water runs clear, then drain. Combine the washed rice and filtered water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
- To cook the rice in a rice cooker: Place the rice in the cooker pot and rinse until the water runs clear, then drain. Combine the rice and filtered water and cook according to the rice cooker’s instructions.
- Make the teriyaki sauce by whisking together the soy sauce, sake, mirin, and sugar in a small bowl. Use a grater to grate the ginger into the mixture and mix well. Set aside.
- To prepare the chicken, pound the chicken thighs with a meat tenderizer until they are the same thickness. Generously season both sides with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, use tongs to carefully place the chicken, skin side down, into the hot oil and press to make sure all of the skin comes in contact with the pan and cooks evenly. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until the skin is golden.
- Flip the chicken thighs, add 1 tablespoon of water to the pan, and cover with a lid. Cook for an additional 8-10 minutes, or until an internal temperature of 165°F is reached.
- Reduce heat to low, then pour the teriyaki sauce over the chicken. Cook for an additional 2 minutes to reduce the sauce, basting the chicken as it cooks. Remove from heat.
- To assemble, cut the chicken into strips, divide the rice into bowls and top with the sliced chicken. Drizzle with teriyaki sauce from the pan, sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions. Dig in and enjoy your masterpiece!