|YIELDS: 6 Servings||PREP TIME: 15 mins||COOK TIME: 20 mins||TOTAL TIME: 35 mins|
3 tbsp olive oil
½ red onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp coarse black pepper
12 oz canned Italian style stewed tomatoes (or make your own stewed tomatoes if you have time)
8 oz tomato sauce
½ orange bell pepper, diced
15 cremini mushrooms, diced
1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp bacon fat (I save all my bacon fat in a jar after cooking it and store it in the fridge for later use.) If you don't have this, don't worry it's still awesome without it!
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the red onion and sauté for a few minutes, until softened.
- Reduce heat to low, add the garlic, and continue sautéing for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the stewed tomatoes with all of the juices and the tomato sauce.
- Add the bell pepper, mushrooms, rosemary, oregano, and thyme. Continue cooking on low for several minutes.
- Stir in the butter and bacon fat.
- Mix well and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Serve over your favorite pasta noodles and enjoy!