|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 15 mins||COOK TIME: 1 hr||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 15 mins|
A delicious and nutrient-rich beet pesto takes the place of traditional marinara in this Beet Pesto, Kale & Goat Cheese Pizza. A great way to switch things up on pizza night!
1 cup beet pesto (recipe below)
2 cups thinly sliced kale
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella
2 oz goat cheese
1 cup chopped beets (about 1 medium beet, scrubbed and cut into 1/2" cubes)
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
½ cup walnuts, toasted in a dry pan until golden
½ cup grated parmesan
½ cup olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
- Start by preparing the dough: Mix yeast and water together in the bowl of a stand mixer affixed with the dough hook attachment. (Alternatively, you can use a hand mixer with dough hook attachments.)
- Add flour to the mixer and mix on low for about 1 minute.
- Once combined, increase speed to medium and mix for 3 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the side of the bowl.
- Add salt and mix on low for 1 minute then increase speed to high and mix for 2 minutes.
- Stop mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the olive oil.
- Mix on low for 1 minute then increase speed to high for 2 minutes.
- Final product will be tacky/sticky, like frosting.
- Cut into 4 equal size (400 grams) balls and wrap in plastic wrap. (Oil your hands when handling the dough, it helps the dough not stick.)
- Refrigerate for 8-24 hours, to let the dough form.
- To make the beet pesto, Wrap the chopped beet in a tin foil packet, place on a baking sheet, and roast for 40-50 minutes, until tender. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Combine the roasted beet, garlic, walnuts, parmesan, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor and pulse several times. With the food processor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil and process until well combined.
- To prepare the pizza, increase oven temperature to 415°F.
- Dust a large baking sheet or pizza stone with cornmeal or flour. Shape the pizza dough into a large circle, place on the prepared stone, and bake for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven and spread the beet pesto over it. Add the kale, followed by the goat cheese and shredded mozzarella. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the kale has cooked down and crust is crisp.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for about 5 minutes before slicing and serving.