|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 30 mins||COOK TIME: 3 hrs 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 4 hrs|
Impress your family and friends with Chef Scotty Bastable's recipe for restaurant-quality Osso Bucco! Tender, slow-roasted veal shanks swimming in a rich broth of tomato and, his secret ingredient, beer!
8 veal shanks
28 oz canned whole tomatoes
5 garlic cloves
12 oz stout beer
1 lb fresh spinach
2 tbsp clarified butter
Salt & pepper, to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
1 thyme sprig
1 rosemary sprig
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Season both sides of the veal shanks with salt and pepper.
- Place your pot over high heat, heat the butter and oil, then add the veal shanks.
- Sear the shanks on both sides until golden brown. Remove them from the pot and set aside.
- Empty the can of tomatoes into a large bowl and squeeze them with your hands until crushed. Remove the crushed tomatoes from the juice and place on a large plate.
- Add the garlic and beer to the pot and allow to reduce for about 5 minutes.
- Return the shanks to the pot, then add the crushed tomatoes and a bit of the tomato juice, if desired.
- Throw the thyme and rosemary sprigs into the pot.
- Cover and transfer to the oven. Cook for 3 to 4 hours, or until the meat is fork tender.
- Plate alongside your favorite veggies and sides. (It's great served over rice!)
- Serve and enjoy!