|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 30 mins||COOK TIME: 35 mins||TOTAL TIME: 1hr 5 mins|
1 (3-4) lb beef tenderloin
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
English mustard, for brushing
24 oz mushrooms
1 clove garlic
1 ½ tbsp Scotch whiskey
1 tsp chili powder
Thinly sliced Parma ham
Large sheet of puff pastry
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
Ultimate Cutting Board
Instant read thermometer
- Preheat grill or smoker to 400°F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the beef tenderloin with salt and pepper and brush with English mustard.
- Sear on all sides until nicely browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic clove, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Cook the mushroom mixture in a hot, dry skillet with scotch whiskey and chili powder until all of the liquid has been cooked out of the mushrooms. Remove from the pan and let cool.
- Layer the thinly sliced Parma ham onto a large sheet of plastic wrap and season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Spread the mushroom mixture over the ham, leaving about 1/2" around the edges.
- Lay the beef in the center of the ham and carefully fold and wrap the beef. Twist the ends of the plastic wrap tightly and place in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up.
- Lay the puff pastry onto a large sheet of plastic wrap and place the beef in the center.
- Wrap the puff pastry over the beef until the two edges meet then trim off any excess pastry and twist the ends to ensure the beef is completely encased. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and firm up in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the plastic wrap and brush with the egg yolk.
- Score decoratively, if desired, and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Smoke for 35 minutes (for med-rare). Allow to rest for at least 10 minutes when done.
- Slice and serve!