|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 16 mins||TOTAL TIME: 26 mins|
You'll just love this summer time treat and your family will too! Trust me... nothing beats bbq'd peaches with homemade biscuits and whipped cream! Be ready for your mouth to explode...
2 cups self rising flour (see homemade self rising option below)
⅛ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp salt
1 ½ tbsp white sugar
2 tbsp shortening
2 tsp butter, softened
1 ¼ cups milk (or buttermilk if you want it richer)
1 cup all purpose flour (or Cup4Cup GF Flour)
1 ½ tbsp butter melted
8-10 Large Peaches - cut in half, pits removed
Nonstick cooking spray
16 oz whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp sugar
- To make your own self-rising flour, whisk all of the ingredients together in a bowl; use as directed in your recipe.
- For the biscuits, preheat oven to 475°F. Spray a 10 1/2 inch cast iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and sugar. Cut in the shortening and softened butter with a fork until the lumps are pea size. Gently stir in the buttermilk until all of the flour is incorporated; do not over mix. The dough should be very wet. If not, add more buttermilk to achieve a sloppy consistency. Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place all-purpose flour in a bowl. Spray an ice cream scoop or large spoon with vegetable spray and scoop out dough. Drop each biscuit one at a time into the flour. Using well-floured hands, pick up each piece and pass from hand to hand lightly to shake off excess flour and shape it into a soft round. Place the biscuits gently into cast iron skillet. They should be a tight fit depending on the size of your skillet. Do not mash the biscuits down! Brush tops lightly with melted butter.
- Bake at 475°F for 16 to 18 minutes. Cool before serving.
- For the peaches, cut the peaches in half and remove the seeds. Sprinkle some cinnamon on each of the peaches then spray with the cooking spray to help eliminate sticking to the grill. Also, spray the grill prior to putting the peaches on too.
- Place the peaches on the grill face down on medium - low heat for about 15 mins. Checking them occasionally to make sure they aren't falling apart. You want your peaches to be soft but still firm.
- Pull them from the grill and slice them up!
- For the whipped cream, ddd all ingredients to a mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, mix until cream creates firm peeks... Done!