|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 20 mins||TOTAL TIME: 30 mins|
Baked squash rings are the way to go if you are looking for an alternative to onion rings. These are healthy, crispy, tasty and the aioli sauce knocks it out of the park.
1 ½ cups panko bread crumbs (or gluten free panko)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
½ cup all purpose flour (or gluten free flour)
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp smoked paprika
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
(1) 2 lb delicata squash
Finely chopped parsley, for serving
Lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Toss the bread crumbs with the oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper until well combined. Bake on a rimmed baking sheet, stirring with a spoon several times, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a shallow bowl.
- Whisk together the flour, smoked paprika and cayenne in another shallow bowl, and place the lightly beaten eggs in a third shallow bowl.
- Cut the squash in half crosswise, scoop out the seeds and slice into ¼-inch rounds (a serrated knife is helpful); season with salt and pepper.
- Working one at a time, dip the squash rings into the flour mixture, then into the eggs (letting any excess drip off) and then into the bread crumbs, turning and pressing gently to help them adhere. Bake until tender, 18 to 20 minutes.
- For the lemon garlic sauce, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice and garlic; season with salt and pepper.
- Top the delicata squash rings with parsley and serve with the garlic-lemon sauce and lemon wedges.