|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 15 mins||COOK TIME: 20 mins||TOTAL TIME: 35 mins|
2 cups chicken cooked and cut into bite size pieces
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 pinch salt and pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp minced garlic
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 package frozen spinach, thawed OR 3 cups fresh spinach
2 cups milk (skim, whole, or almond)
3 tbsp flour
1 cup pesto (see recipe below if you want to make your own)
1 cup shredded mozzarella OR fresh buffalo mozzarella, pinched into small pieces
3 cups fresh basil
3 tbsp pine nuts
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp oregano
⅔ cup grated parmesan
⅔ cup olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook the penne pasta until al dente.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic until softened.
- Add the cooked chicken, mushrooms, spinach, milk, flour, and Italian seasoning. Season with salt and pepper and stir until thickened.
- Add the pesto and cooked pasta. Stir until well combined then transfer everything to a casserole dish.
- Top with the mozzarella cheese and bake for 20 minutes, until the cheese is browned and bubbly.
- For the homemade pesto, combine everything except the olive oil in a food processor or blender.
- Blend until mixed and smooth.
- With the motor running, slowly stream in the olive oil and blend until just combined (you don't want it to be soupy).