AU GRATIN POTATOES
|YIELDS: 6 Servings||PREP TIME: 15 mins||COOK TIME: 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 45 mins|
If you've only ever made au gratin potatoes/scalloped potatoes from a box, then it's time to step up your game and give this recipe a try! Nothing quite hits the spot like this cheesy side dish made with gruyere cheese!
8 Yukon Gold potatoes
1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1 dash ground nutmeg
5 tbsp unsalted butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups half & half
Salt and pepper, to taste
Mandolin slicer or very sharp knife
Dutch oven or oven-safe pot
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare your Dutch oven by spraying it with a bit of non-stick cooking spray.
- Slice the potatoes using a mandolin or very sharp knife and place the slices in the Dutch oven.
- Cut the butter into cubes and evenly distribute over the sliced potatoes.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic over the potatoes.
- Pour the half and half over the potatoes and season everything with salt and pepper.
- Add a dusting of nutmeg (not too much).
- Place the Dutch oven over medium heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until all of the butter is melted.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top and transfer to the preheated oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand for about 15 minutes before serving.
- Dig in and enjoy!!