|YIELDS: 6 Servings||PREP TIME: 25 mins||COOK TIME: 3 hrs||TOTAL TIME: 3 hrs 25 mins|
5 lbs (about 12 pieces) short ribs
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
9 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
1 large sweet onion, roughly chopped
4 cups beef stock
2 cups red wine
¾ cup rice wine vinegar
⅓ cup honey
5 whole star anise
1 cinnamon stick
3 whole cloves
1 4" piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tsp fish sauce
cooked jasmine rice, for serving
sesame seeds - pinch for serving
green onions sliced - pinch for serving
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the shorts ribs generously with salt and pepper and cook, in batches, for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Transfer the ribs to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the garlic and onion to the Dutch oven and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, wine, vinegar, and honey. Add the star anise, cinnamon stick, clove, ginger, and fish sauce. Stir to combine.
- Return the short ribs to the pot. Cover and transfer to the oven. Cook for about 3 hours, until the ribs are fork tender.
- Transfer the cooked ribs to a plate using tongs or a slotted spoon. Use a fine strainer or cheesecloth over a medium bowl to strain the sauce. Skim the fat from the top and discard.
- Pour the sauce back into the pot and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until thickened. Return the ribs to the sauce and toss to coat.
- Serve the short ribs over rice, add some sesame seeds and sliced green onion to the top and Enjoy!
Inspired by: Bon Appétit