The summer is winding down and kids are either anxiously waiting or desperately dreading the beginning of school. When the hustle and bustle of school mornings begin, we’re going to need some easy meals for kids to eat. These back to school breakfast ideas are quick and easy, so we can focus on finding the missing homework or searching for the lost shoe.
- Did the alarm clock not go off?
- Are the kids taking too long to get out of bed?
- Are YOU taking too long to get out of bed?
When time is of the essence and you don’t have time to cook, a good breakfast smoothie will get them on their way with a full tummy and plenty of energy. Just take fresh fruit such as apples, oranges, berries and even a few green leafy vegetables like kale or spinach (they’ll never know it’s there) and put it into a powerful blender. A few splashes of milk, orange juice or apple juice and some ice is all you need before blending. Breakfast in a glass. You don’t get much simpler than that.
Ham and Egg Muffins
This easy recipe is everything you need for breakfast in muffin form.
- Preheat the oven to 375 and take out your favorite frying pan.
- Turn the stove to a medium heat and add a tablespoon of butter and melt.
- Add ½ cup of chopped onions, ¼ chopped red pepper, 1/3 cup of browned sausage, 1/3 cup of sliced cooked potato (or hash browns cut)
- Cook until the onions and pepper are nice and tender.
- Take a muffin pan and spray it with cooking spray before outlining each cup with two slices of deli ham.
- Pour ½ cup of shredded cheese and top it all with four beaten eggs.
- Cook for about 20 minute and done. If you’re in a hurry, they can take it with them.
Toast is a breakfast staple, but plain old buttered toast can get boring. So, give the kids a choice of toast toppings in something I like to call Funky Toast. Layout a variety of favorite toppings such as peanut butter, Nutella, apple butter, jelly, bananas and any other topping they like. It’s fast and portable, just make sure they don’t get anything on their clothes.
For more great back to school food ideas, explore www.dadsthatcook.com.